Careers at the Dragon Academy
Effective January 17th, 2020, The Dragon Academy is seeking a part-time teacher for the following courses:
Mathematics: Grade 9 (MPM1D), Grade 10 (MPM2D), and Grade 11 (MCR3U)
The Dragon Academy is a progressive, academic, co-educational private school, inspected and accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education, offering classes in Grades 4-12 in a supportive small school setting. We enrol a diverse student population of 80, many gifted, who may also have a second learning exceptionality. We have a brilliant, dedicated and co-operative faculty, and an active and supportive parent community. We value student-centered learning in small classes (an average of 8-10 students), including discussion-based learning, cross-curricular collaboration, and learning beyond the classroom. We are committed to the principles of progressive pedagogy, fostering freedom of expression, creativity, collaboration, and commitment to social justice. Initiatives at The Dragon include Scientists in Action (placing our students in cutting-edge research laboratories and bringing in eminent speakers), integrated arts programming in collaboration with Toronto artists and institutions, the annual Roundtable Residency for Emerging Artists, and co-operation with initiatives in outdoor education with Pinecone Project and in technological education with Braincubator.
Qualifications and Experience
• Valid Ontario Ministry of Education Teaching Certificate/OCT or equivalent (or eligible for)
• Experience with adapting and modifying curriculum to meet the needs of students
• Qualifications and demonstrated ability to teach the identified subjects
• Willingness to work on teacher teams to collaborate regarding curriculum, assessment, instruction and planning
• Willingness and desire to be a teacher advisor
• Ability to utilize technology/computers in the instructional process and reporting procedures
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Classroom management practices that maintain student dignity
• Assessment practices supportive of learning
• Ability to work with students who are gifted and may have other exceptionalities
• Ability to follow various learning plans (IEP, LSP, AIP)
Interested applicants are required to supply:
• Cover letter
• Two (2) references
• Verification of qualifications and a current police check
• Linked to education level and experience. Current salary grid is $6500 - $8000 per course.
• Benefits include option to enrol in medical, dental, extended health, and group life insurance, and enrolment after 1 year of employment in a group RRSP plan.
For more information and to apply, please contact:
Dr. Kelvin Sealey, Head of School: firstname.lastname@example.org
and Ms. Stephanie Bushnik, Vice-Principal: email@example.com
Available Support Positions:
Once the academic school year starts, there are always a number of our students looking for organizational and support tutoring.
If you belong on faculty at a small, progressive, independent school for gifted non-conformists, please contact our Head of School, Dr. Kelvin Sealey, by email with your resume and references: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why The Dragon Academy?
The Dragon Academy has been a leader in innovative educational practices, progressive vision, and museum-based learning for twenty years. Located in downtown Toronto, we use our vibrant city as our school, building connections with universities, laboratories, museums and cultural institutions. Our student population is quirky and engaging, university-bound, articulate, and involved. Faculty at The Dragon enjoy professional development opportunities, a supportive and collaborative culture, and a strong and expanding offering across the subject fields. And we’re growing!